Home > News > Faulty Power Strip Blamed for Starting Fire at Salem Home

Faulty Power Strip Blamed for Starting Fire at Salem Home

August 10, 2017

(SALEM)-A fire that damaged a small area of a garage at the John and Sherry Peradotti home at 107 Lost Hollow in Salem apparently was started by a faulty power strip.

Salem Fire Marshal Bill Fulton says the plastic was completely burned off the strip that was mounted to wood shelving in the garage. The fire then spread to other items on the shelves.

When firemen arrived, black smoke was coming out of the garage. The fire was quickly knocked down and the source located. There were three cars in the garage, two of which were moved out once the initial fire was knocked down. They received soot from the fire, but otherwise appeared mostly undamaged.

The fire call came in around 7:30 Tuesday night. Firemen were on the scene for just over an hour.

Fulton has seen a couple fires where older power strips appear to have been the cause. He suggests changing out the older power panels to avoid problems.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: